Saturday, 18 February 2017

New Zealand Day 3 - Outside Queenstown - part 2

The next part of our journey saw us at the lovely old town of Cromwell...
CROMWELL..
Hubby and I are in our glory - heaps of old buildings to explore here.
The Masonic Lodge.




 I'm going to just put up the photos without saying to much - you can see how gorgeous this place is - surrounded by the lake and with so much history on show.  Cromwell was settled in 1863 - it started out as an old mining town.  Its history was one of thriving through to times of depression - stores coming and going...  In the early 1990's a huge crater was dug and a dam wall put in place and some of these beautiful buildings we submerged under the lake.  Historians have gone to great lengths to restore the area for people to see...
















 The bakery...















 Here are some photos of a building that has not been restored but due to the amount of silt and dirt build up from being submerged...  the back of the building..
 Looking sideways at the front wall...
 What the building originally looked like...
 What it looks like today - still half  covered in the ground...
 The school..

 The school now...


 What a pity they sunk this part of town but thankfully there were some who could see a reason to restore history..




 Wayne and I finished this area with a delicious New Zealand ice-cream...  yum..
 PUZZLING WORLD - WANAKA
Next stop - Wanaka - Wayne and I couldn't wait to check out this place.. Helen had been here on a previous journey and had told me all about it...
Wayne holding the building up...lol
So many interesting things to look at here - and a lot of things to mess with your mind.. but all in all we had a lot of laughs.. 
 Oh I wish my grandkids or kids, for that matter, were here - they would have had a ball at this place..
 I love this photo of Wayne - it didn't matter where you walked in this room - the Einstein faces followed you....  creeeeepy...
 Love this shed... I wonder if Hubby would build one for me..  inside...
Outside.... 
 Outside again...
 Oh I didn't like this guy - he was soooooo real looking that he spooked me out... I was sure he was going to move - I made sure I always kept him in sight while in this area...
 Love this seat...look mum - no legs...
 Having fun in the maze.... its not very easy either - even looking down from the bridges doesn't help at all - I know cause we tried...



 I got the biggest fright - I was in a hurry to visit the ladies room before departure and as I entered the toilets - I saw this - well you should have seen me...lol  I stopped and thought - no way - before I realised that these were not the toilets but fake ones...lol  the real ones were off through another door.. mmm glad my grandkids are not with me as they may have actually used them..lol
WANAKA and THE TRIP BACK TO QUEENSTOWN.
We didn't spend a lot of time in Wanaka but we did get to see their lake.. It has been such a long day and I think we are all getting tired...
 Stopping off at a vantage point for some photos..


 The roads are a little crappy - lol only joking - we had great roads everywhere we went..
We finished off our day back in Queenstown - totally exhausted...  but one must eat too..
Eating our fish & chips down on the waterfront watching the sunset...  heaven...

 Don't you just love this place - I am already thinking we need to plan another holiday back there...
Well that's all for day 3.
cya
xxx


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment