Sunday, 2 October 2016

SEPTEMBER

 OMG - October - ALREADY.....grrrr 
Sorry everyone but this Is going to be 'one of those' posts..lots of bits and pieces to catch up on, heaps of photos - mostly family stuff...with just a wee bit of stitching...
I had to start my post today with my youngest grandson - we were playing with stickers and he thought it was hilarious to put them on me so nana thought two could play this game..  well we had so much fun that he needed a much needed cuddle-sleep..  love those cuddles..
Now about a week ago, hubby, myself and youngest daughter went to see the Brisbane Riverfire festival.  Hubby works at the Queensland University and was able to score us a position on top of one of the buildings where he works.  It was a fantastic spot because the fireworks were right in front of
us.  When they started going off we didn't realise that the building either side of us had fireworks on them so we were surrounded.  It was sooooo good we plan on doing it again..
Hubby and myself....
The fireworks and across the river - mmm - about a million people...lol
 Daughter playing with her phone before it started...
Last Sunday was the get together of the Sunday Stitchers girls.. we had a little show n tell, although I am sure there was more show n tell but these were the only photos I can find..
These photos show Helen's and Susan's quilts..
Susan's finished Natalie Bird Blocks..
My Natalie Bird Blocks..
Teresa and I got together to catch a movie - the new Bridget Jones one that's out at the moment.  I am so glad that they didn't follow the book version because I didn't like that take on it..
We had a little fun with the props at the cinema..
I am very happy that these are just props and not my real knickers..

Yesterday, Hubby, myself and youngest daughter went on a bit of a road trip.  I have always wanted to see The Standing Stones in Glen Innes - NSW, so off we headed..
What an amazing road trip - such beautiful country side and how many times did the scenery change  made the trip even more special..
This is  Mt Warning - the remains of volcano from way back...
Not long after Mt Warning, while driving through the rainforest, we came across this sign on the road.   By the time we had realised what it had said, hubby - sweetly - found a place to turn around (not an easy task on a mountainous road) just so we could take a photo of it..  Unfortunately we did not come across any but we did keep our eyes peeled.  I must admit that our daughter did enquire first what a "Yowie" was...lol
The closest we got to a yowie was in Woodenbong, and yes I did get a couple of photos of this one.. 
Further down the road we came across another forest - this one different from its neighbour as there were these very tall, straight, white trees - I am presuming a type of gum.. 
The photo doesn't do it justice but they were very impressive..
We came across this 'olden - day' bridge and once again we had to stop for another photo.  I wanted to get a closer shot of the bridge but it was one lane and was worried that if anything came along then I would have to make a run for it (not a pretty sight)...lol 
 Another change in scenery - a gorgeous tree lined street.  How gorgeous are these photos.  I can just imagine what it would look like when they flower...
We spent a bit of time in Tenterfield, having morning tea and looking around.. I found a place that sold these amazing old gates and doors - it was just as well we took my car (little mazda neo) cause I really wanted to take them home with me... Maybe next time... 
While having morning tea, the café owner was telling us how we had chosen a great day to visit because the town was celebrating 120 years since the railway came to town..  We were told that the original railway station was still there and it was open today to look around... Sounds right up our alley.. My dad was employed by the Qld Railway from the age of 14 until retirement and then even some.. He officially retired at 65 but then they encouraged him to come back and he finally retired at 70.  Now, at 72, he spends his days playing tennis and has just returned from playing in the Masters in Melbourne...  Anyhow - back to this old station.. 
I could hardly contain myself when I saw this building, so much history and we were going to get to explore it - inside and out..
Naturally there were heaps of vintage trains around the back and we were able to climb aboard and check things out. 
Youngest daughter was amazed that they used timber in their construction of some of the trains.. 
I loved this old girl - a very distinct difference between first class and second.. 
First class - heaps of room, leather lounge seats, tables, toilets, fancy fixtures..
And then there is second class -  well you can see the difference - well I might just add the outside the second class carriage - at the rear - was a tiny little cupboard where they would transport a coffin from one place to another..
So much detail - I love the old suitcases and well, maybe it would be a good idea to make sure the driver is of sound mind before you board the train...
The Station itself was  great explore too - from 'The Ticket Office' to the 'Ladies Lounge' which of course was separate from the 'Gentlemen's Lounge'.
A couple more photo's - sorry if you are not into history like we are..
We left Tenterfield and headed to Glen Innes...and finally around 1pm we arrived at The Standing Stones.. 
Now not everyone is going to get this next photo - but I just couldn't let the opportunity go by without posing for this photo.  I mean, after all - what should one do when standing in-front  of a Scottish Standing Stone - well - do a 'Claire Fraser' of course..
Hubby got into it a bit too....lol 
Back to being serious now...  This plaque explains the positioning of the stones...
A little more fun - removing Excalibur's Sword - welllllll trying to remove it anyway...lol 
This wall house 'stones' from clans from around the world and of course some local scots too.. 
The café, sorry too full to eat, yep that's correct - no room for food... 
A bit more playing on some little standing stones and a view of the actual stones from up high.. 
Each year they hold a "Celtic Festival' and I would love to come back for that one day.
We left home at 6am and returned at 5.30pm, so it was a long 'road trip' and my hubby was fantastic, driving most of the way, stopping for photos and even backtracking for some very essential shots, and being great company...thank you sweetheart - love ya heaps..xxx
It was great spending time with our daughter too, mind you, we did differ in music tastes just a little..  I have to admit that my hubby and daughter are into Queen big time - me - well - not so much...lol
But I did get my way for some of the trip..
I just had to add a photo from my garden - I love roses and this one is gorgeous...
Well that's it for me, oh no its not - I do have a photo of my Splendid Sampler blocks - the ones I have done so far, I'm a tad behind but I will catch up soon.. 
I am going to redo the dark one in the centre - I think it is a bit dark compared to the others...
Alright, not I am really going... long post I know but I had a lot to say and later I will most likely remember more but this will do for now..
cya
xxx
 

5 comments:

  1. Great post! Love the photos of your wee GS. You've been on some fabulous outings with hubby and you DD..lots of lovely scenery..
    Great show and tell at Sunday Stitchers and your SS blocks are looking great. Some of my blocks are a bit dark too, not sure if I want to redo them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOunds like a fun day Sandi - love the SS blocks...they have changed a bit since the start . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandi wow what an amazing post,,you have been so busy,love the pics,and how cute is your little GS,he is adorable xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post Sandi. You have been very busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so much in this post but lots of fun fun fun..........pleased you girls are still meeting up too..........

    ReplyDelete