Tuesday, 3 November 2015

Tasmania Day 10 - part 2

Ratho Farm - The Oldest 'Still In Use' Golf Course in Australia..
Bothwell, pictures speak a thousands words but I will add my own comments..
This place had me in awe - I felt at home here, surrounded by beautiful countryside, gorgeous buildings and history to the max...grab a coffee, sit down and let your eyes be treated by some fantastic sights..
This was to be our home for the night - an early settlement home/convict house. 
I want ok - three little words you will hear a lot during this post...
 Our porch for the night..
 Our bed..
 Around the bedroom..
 Looking outside the bedroom window...
 Too pretty - still looking through the window...
And a modern bathroom to boot...what more could one want...

Do you see how I need very few words to describe this place - words are just not good enough..
Greg the owner saw how delighted I was and asked if I would like to see in the other buildings, we were the only guests for the night (the place was full the night before)...
Here is the renovated bakery..
The side of the bakery...
 The other side of the bakery..
 Greg was telling us how these walls were rendered and when they removed the rendering they discovered the remains of the oven and fire place..  how cool... ok I want..
 I love the way they kept the original brick work.
 The oven..
The Shearing Shed...the front timber part is where the sheep entered the shed..
 Side view of the shearing shed - the open area at the rear of the shed was where the 'smithy' was set up, they haven't finished renovating the 'blacksmith's' area yet but have uncovered the original bellows used...
 This was the door the sheep entered to be sheared - its about half the size of a normal door, and if you look closely at the bottom of the walls, you will notice there is hardly any paint, that's because the sheep would rub against the walls and the lanolin would rub off onto it..
Here is the door the sheep would leave by - its a lot smaller because they didn't have their wool any more...lol
Now we head to another building - the stables.  Upstairs was used as the grainery loft and down stairs was used as the cook house with the stables infront..  
 The timber stairs went up to a balcony so visitors could take advantage of the surrounding views..
 The side of the building showing a great place to sit.
 Lovely wrought iron chairs and table to add to the ambiance..
 The original dowel pins have been left to show how the roof was held in place back then, these were amazing and each and everyone one was visible in the upstair rooms.
 In the back room downstairs they uncovered the original oven.  Greg can remember his grandmother cooking in this very oven for the family when he was a child... As Greg was open the doors of the ovens to show us inside, my daughter slide open a sliding door behind us and Greg jumped thinking the noise was the oven venting heat up the chimney...lol
What settlement would be complete without the outback toilet...this is a double seat one..  Fathers could take their sons with them and the women would do the same with their daughters..early potty training..
 I wasn't going to force the door and there was no way I was going in so this photo is the only one I could get - it only shows one 'hole'..
Now for the Homestead - I didn't get many pics of this house - not sure why, too busy looking everywhere else..
Not a good photo but I will put it in anyway..
 Greg was explaining that the posts on porch are the original ones and on close inspection you can see they are straight tree stumps..
 Another one of the porch.  Greg showed us inside but I chose not to take any photos because this is his place of residence but I'm sure he would have let me if I had asked.
Greg's family are the second owners of this property, with it being only owned by one other family prior to theirs.  There are indepth diaries available for everyone to read if they wish, I did think about it but they were more like volumes and I was worried I might damage them..  He did tell us of a story in one of the diaries.  It tells of how 14 bushrangers held up the household for four days, ransacking the rooms and keeping everyone hostage.  When the bushrangers were finally caught the women of the house pleaded with authorities to be lenient with the rangers because they were reasonably well behaved.  The leader of the group even gave back possessions belonging to a four year old child because he became upset they were taking something he loved to play with.  We were standing in the very room all of this occurred.  All fourteen bushrangers were hung.
Greg invited us to eat in the Homestead for dinner, who could refuse....not me, I was having a ball..
Here is the Glass room that has been added to the rear of the house to take in all the surrounding countryside...  ok I want.  
We had a delicious dinner (did I tell you - Greg cooks), Lamb Fillets or Atlantic Salmon and vegetables with amazing salads, and a cheese platter to start with, and Rhubarb, apple and pear crumble with fresh cream to finish.  Some of us had the Atlantic Salmon.  You cant see it in this photo but there were fairy lights running along the ceiling
 Love the wine barrels...
After dinner, Greg went and got a baby lamb, which came up to the dinner table for two seconds, before being lead outside for Amy to bottle feed.   I tried to get a photo but it was so dark outside as you can see.
Greg was a wonderful host, entertaining us at every avenue, quick with a joke and did I tell you he can cook...He lives alone in the homestead with his brother on the neighbouring property running sheep.  (probably our dinner..lol)..
I've decided to break this post up into another part - part 3, as we were there for the boys to play golf and I do have quite a few photo's to put up of them...
Did I mention - ok I want - to all of this place... I want, I want, I want...if only I could get all my kids to migrate with me and the grandkids of course...there are plenty of homes/rooms for everyone.
I will add one more photo to this post..
Inside one of the bedrooms of the homestead is a little tiny room with a small window...named the Prayer window, I couldn't get a good photo but I will put it in anyway..
I'm going now...part 3 coming up next..  There is only one thing that could have made my stay here more perfect - a quilt or two place here and there, don't you think?
xxx

3 comments:

  1. wow what a beautiful place! I can see why you want! I want to go visit there too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, Sandi. I just love old houses. How lucky to get to stay in one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! What an awesome place!! Great pics

    ReplyDelete