Sunday, 17 August 2014

Travelling with Maci and the Howard Quilting Shop

Yesterday, we drove from Hervey Bay to Howard, probably about 20 minutes in total, to visit the quilting shop there.  I had heard from others that it was a must in the area for anyone searching for material.
We found the shop quite easily enough - Howard, I think, has two main streets....the one the pub is on and the one the quilt shop is on...
Here we are parked outside...you may notice there is no signage here, I guess when you have a good reputation you don't need to advertise...
I forgot to take a photo inside the shop, but it was one of those places that had everything...and I am sure if I wanted a kitchen sink there may have even been one of those hiding somewhere...
 While chatting to the owner,  she was telling me of the room across the road, where she has some fabric stored and would I like to see it.   I, of course, said I would love to, so she made a quick phone call and asked somebody to unlock the door for us...
The owner didn't come with us, she was very busy with her customers...so Hubby, myself and daughter take a stroll, across the road, through the vacant allotment (might have been the yard) and towards the red door in which we were told to head to...

 This is what we found inside...hubby took the photo as I (in the back right of the photo) was too busy picking out fabrics...
This was only one side of the shop.  I am not sure where the lady came from to open it for us, she did mention something about being next door..
 This building use to be the original bakery, in its bygone days and they still had the original wood fired ovens on show.   They leave the torches in front so you can see inside - they are massive..
 There were two oven with this one being the eldest...
 Here is a photo from the back of the building...such an amazing place, firstly to find an unadvertised 'shop', if that is the right word for it, and then to find out it has these beautiful ovens still inside.  It would have been so easy for the town or someone to have given up on this building and it's ovens but instead show it to unsuspecting visitors...and as an added bonus, have it full of fabrics.   I will be coming back here, the people were lovely, we chatted with the ladies in the fabric shops, an elderly man in the street (you know the kind - full of stories of places and things he has seen and stories about the town - he did also comment that he thought they would cremate him one day in the ovens...lol).
Now did I buy anything at these places, well funny you should ask, because those who know me already know the answer....yes....
Here are a mixture of florals, and creams to be used as backings for stitcheries...
 And these ones are just because I liked them...
Now I have some kitty photo's to add to todays blog, so for those of you who are not cat people, you have my permission to ignore the rest of this spiel...
We took Maci away with us and were so impressed with how she behaved while travelling in the car.  She was such a good little girl with our journey lasting 4 hours there and 4 back...
Here are a couple of snaps of her...by the way, do you know how hard it is to take a photo in a moving car, alot of them were blurry...lol
She loved looking out the windows, at one stage I was waiting to hear - "woof" as we went passed other cars...
 Nap time for both Amelia and Maci...
 Still sleeping....they slept for about an hour....
 We stopped of for a break and some morning tea and Maci decided that the dash was a great place to sun herself..
 MMM, I am sure she is wondering if could stay here....
 Needing some attention....hey Amelia, I'm gonna pull your hair out....
 Hey did you hear me girl, I said play with me...
So now I only have one more non-cat related photo to show you.   Talk about a sign of the times...Here is a kodak moment - you can see, from left to right, hubby, Amelia, my mother and step-father, and you will notice that everyone of them is on either a phone or a lap top....lol   I was a good girl and was using one of those analogue thingy majigies....you know - a book....lol
Ok that's it for me....hope you all had a great weekend....I know we did....
Catchya all later...
xx

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love that shop in Howard. Would love to go there again. :). Love your fabric purcahases. Maci looked like she was enjoying herself. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandi wow what a shop,and love what you bought and i always love your Maci pics.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Van Cootens! Its been there forever and stocks everything and is such an experience. Nice treasures bought x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and lovely fabric purchases. looks like a great place to visit. Missed you today. Hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The Girls" told me you had travelled with Maci - can't believe that she was just travelling patiently like that! How amazing is that "extra" part of the shop! Seems you had a fun filled time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun shop to find...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete