Sunday, 25 May 2014

Goomeri Pumpkin Festival

OMG this Is a long post - grab a coffee and a light snack if necessary....

Hubby and myself decided on Friday night to take a trip out to the country.  We have heard about the Goomeri Pumpkin Festival before but have never seemed to have found time to get out to it...
This event happens once a year, on the last Sunday in May and is held in a little town north of Kingaroy.
Our plan was to drive to Kingaroy on Saturday, camp one night in our tent (a two minute pop up tent) and then visit the Festival in the morning.  After a little searching on the  net we found a camp ground with a cheap cabin - thinking this would be one up on camping, we decided we would go this way instead of camping...more about that later....
So starting out on Saturday morning, breakfast at Fernvale was to be our first stop.  I took no photos here unfortunately but I can guarantee it was yummy...
Second stop of the day was at Blackbutt - to their famous - Woodfired Bakehouse.... Oh boy, so glad I wore loose clothing....
 We made the decision to eat our goodies at Blackbutt's local park - Red Wine and Garlic Pie with a Blueberry and White Chocolate Muffin and of course a coffee...
Totally worth the stop but I don't know if you can call it a muffin as it was more like a cupcake in texture..
Ok now we had better stop eating our way out to Kingaroy and do some non-stop driving....after all the trip from home to Kingaroy is about 3 hours.....I don't think I could possibly fit another meal into that sort of time frame...
Too early to check into our cabin - what's a girl to do - Shop of course...lol
 I have seen this shop advertised in many magazines and have always wanted to pay them a visit...It was very easy to find - and I could have spent hours in there...instead of the one hour I did  stay...
I forgot to get a photo of the back area that had quilting fabrics etc...just means I will have to go back one day....
 I had trouble choosing what I wanted to take home, I wonder why?
I ended up buying this clock - I have always wanted a clock for my lounge-room and seeing as I love roses so much, it just seemed to be perfect...
The next stop was a local winery - the Kingsley Grove Winery - after sampling some of their wines we chose a bottle of red wine for later....



Still some time to kill - lets go for a drive...a visit to the Bjelke-Peterson Dam.....see - we don't eat everywhere we go...
On the way to Kingaroy this morning we stopped at several Antique stores but the best by far was as Wondai.  I didn't get any photo's of any of the antique shops but I can tell you the store in Wondai had heaps of olden day items, We both could have brought home heaps, but were very good and only looked with our eyes with maybe a little touching too.
Now check in time has finally arrived and now we get back to our accommodation...I should have known something was odd when making the booking on line the owners gave us a courtesy call to let us know that it didn't have an ensuite and that it was an old cabin....we let them know that we had intended to camp and felt that this would be one step up from that... 
 The cabin was dated indeed, with wood paneling on the walls and a peeling ceiling...lol  We had a laugh and nick-named it as our Trailer Trash weekend.. lol    Don't get the wrong idea - after making the bed up with one of my quilts it didn't look that bad...it was very clean, the appliances were new and there were no crawlies.   We had a ball in our cabin, lovingly christened by us as "Trailer Trash"....we wouldn't have changed a thing...
Dinner - yep that's right - food again....I don't usually drink wine, usually referring it to tasting like medicine but I did enjoy this one.  To accompany our wine we bought some locally made Dukkah, olive oil and freshly baked  mini  breadrolls.  
Sunday....Goomeri Pumpkin Festival...
Now what does one eat at an event like this.....everything pumkin.....lol
Firstly - Pumpkin and basil wood-fired pizza and pumpkin damper - omg - I have never had a pizza like this and I have seen the light - I have been converted...I wonder if hubby can build me a wood fire oven when we get home? I am sure I NEED one...
 The street parade was pretty cool too - lots of interesting things to look at...
Could this be the Pumpkin Queen of Goomeri??
 Vintage cars....
 Men is skirts - where is a good breeze when you need one?
 More men is skirts and tights but this time in medi-evil outfits....
 Some belly dancers - I was in awe with the lady in blue - I hope I have and outlook on life as she obviously has when I am her age...Go Granny!!!
 Some early pioneer costumes...sorry mate - can't be converted to your faith - have already been converted to the "pumpkin woodfired pizza faith"...
 An old car - now hubby has let me down here, cause while we were there he called it something and now that I want to write its name down, he is having a senior moment....oh well....an old car....
 Some pretty lama's with fancy neck wear....
 A stream traction engine from 1920 - see he can remember what this is called, why not the other one...lol
 A couple of ginormous pumpkins....
 One of my favourites - the Clydesdales...
Mmmm, time for more food - what haven't we tried - Pumpkin soup of course...lol     This was so good that we had discussions on whether we should go back for more and whether we could possibly fit more in...
Not a chance unfortunately...
This means that I just have to buy the local cook book.....and yes - there are quite a few Pumpkin soup recipes to try out....
We chose not to stay for the pumpkin hill rolling competition, and opted to head home.
You may be thinking that after all this, we would drive straight home but oh no - not us - we just have to stop off at that Wood Fired Bakery that we had visited the day before...more food...
Choc-Orange Muffin, another Blueberry and white-chocolate muffin and some Macadamia Rocky Road (bought from Goomeri)... I think I need a bigger car.....
We had an absolute ball this weekend - Goomeri closes the main street off for the Festival and from one end to another were market stalls, with hand made goods from the locals...and lots of food choices and live music..
Now I am home, bags are unpacked, caught up with what the kids have gotten up to, cuddled my kitty heaps (and heaps) and that leaves only one thing left to do to end this weekend...
Dinner...Pumpkin scones followed by a mandarine purchased during our adventure....
I don't think I will need to eat for a week, oh did I mention that we bought a bag of Kingaroy's famous peanuts.....night all....xxx
PS: Hubby has just remembered the old car was a Stanley Steamer......lol

9 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic Sandi...... what a lovely weekend you have had.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post! Sounds like a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandi i love this post you had so much to see and do,oh and love the food pics,its worth going up that way just for the food,thankyou for sharing.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photos.....yummo food....looks like an awesome weekend.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun Sandi.... so much to see and do..... and eat?
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy you did have fun Sandi. Great post. Hugs.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does look like really fun trip

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a weekend Sandi! Love all those pics, and the Trailer Trash description!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pizza looks great. Yum.
    Hugs Khris

    ReplyDelete